Introduction to the Solar Landscape in Somerset
Somerset’s commitment to a sustainable future is evident in its growing solar infrastructure. The county’s unique geographical positioning and climatic conditions make it a fertile ground for solar energy harnessing. As more residents and businesses acknowledge the undeniable benefits of solar energy, there’s an increased demand for quality solar panels and proficient solar PV installers in Somerset.
Why Somerset is a Solar Powerhouse
Somerset enjoys an above-average solar irradiance, a metric used to measure solar power potential. The combination of its latitude and frequently clear skies provides longer hours of sunlight, especially during the peak summer months. This natural advantage translates to more electricity generation from the same solar setup compared to less favoured locations.
Diving into the Different Solar Panel Technologies
Solar technology has evolved tremendously over the past few decades. Here’s a more in-depth look at the panel types:
- Monocrystalline Panels: Made using single-crystal technology, these panels are identifiable by their uniform dark look and rounded edges. Their high efficiency is due to the purity of the silicon used, often reaching efficiencies above 20%.
- Polycrystalline Panels: These blue-tinted panels are created by melting multiple silicon fragments together. They are slightly less space-efficient compared to monocrystalline counterparts but come at a more affordable price point.
- Thin-Film Panels: Made by placing one or more films of photovoltaic material (such as silicon, cadmium, or copper) onto a substrate. They are versatile, lightweight, and can be integrated into building materials but generally have a lower efficiency.
Unearthing the Benefits of Solar Panels in Somerset
The decision to transition to solar energy in Somerset is backed by numerous compelling reasons:
- Carbon Reduction: Every kilowatt-hour of solar-generated electricity significantly diminishes greenhouse gas emissions. Over a solar panel’s lifespan, this reduction is equivalent to planting hundreds of trees.
- Locking Energy Prices: With solar panels, you produce your electricity, thus shielding yourself from the volatile energy market and ever-increasing utility rates.
- Sustainable Growth: As businesses and households adopt solar energy, the county progresses towards its goal of sustainability and reduced reliance on non-renewable energy sources.
The Art of Choosing a Solar PV Installer in Somerset
Selecting an installer is as critical as choosing the panels themselves. Here’s a detailed approach:
- Local Experience: Somerset-specific knowledge is invaluable. An installer familiar with the local climate, regulations, and incentives can provide a smoother installation experience. We only work with the best here at Solar Planet. All our installers are MCS-accredited.
- Transparent Quotations: All our solar panel installers will provide itemised quotes, ensuring you’re well aware of what you’re paying for.
- Customer Reviews: Previous customer experiences can offer invaluable insights. Check online reviews and ask for references from any of our solar panel installation partners. Read our guide about the MCS certification.
Maintaining Your Solar Investment
Maximising the returns on your solar investment hinges on its upkeep:
- Use soft brushes or specialised cleaning solutions to remove accumulated dirt or snow.
- Employ monitoring systems. They notify you of any efficiency drops, prompting timely interventions.
Unlocking Somerset’s Solar Incentives
Harnessing solar energy is not just beneficial for the environment, but it can also be financially rewarding. Somerset offers several funding options and incentives to make the transition to solar more affordable and lucrative:
- Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs): This system was one of the earliest incentives for small-scale renewable energy installations. Under this, homeowners and businesses who generated their electricity via solar panels were paid for the electricity they produced, even if they used it themselves. Though the FiT scheme has ended, those who joined before its closure can continue to benefit for the duration of their contract.
- Smart Export Guarantee (SEG): Replacing the Feed-in Tariffs, the Smart Export Guarantee is an obligation set by the government for licensed electricity suppliers to offer a tariff and make payment to small-scale low-carbon generators for electricity exported to the National Grid. In essence, if your solar system is producing more energy than you’re consuming, this excess can be sold back to the grid under the SEG, generating additional income for households and businesses.
- Green Grants: The Somerset local authorities often provide grants to residents and businesses looking to implement renewable energy solutions. These grants can significantly reduce the upfront costs associated with solar panel installations.
- Tax Credits: Installing solar panels might make you eligible for tax credits, further offsetting the costs. It’s advisable to consult with a financial advisor or tax professional to determine eligibility and claim these credits.
- Local Solar Schemes: Occasionally, local communities in Somerset might launch group-buying schemes or collective purchasing initiatives. Joining these can lead to discounts on purchasing solar panels as suppliers offer reduced rates for bulk purchases.
Somerset stands at the cusp of a solar revolution, offering both ecological and economic benefits. With the right guidance, adopting solar energy can be a seamless, rewarding journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
Somerset enjoys an above-average solar irradiance and frequently clear skies, providing longer hours of sunlight, especially during peak summer months. This enhances the electricity generation potential from solar setups.
There are primarily three types: Monocrystalline, Polycrystalline, and Thin-Film panels. Each type has its own set of advantages and is suitable for different applications.
SEG is an obligation set by the government for licensed electricity suppliers to offer tariffs and make payments to small-scale low-carbon generators for electricity exported to the National Grid. This allows households and businesses to earn from the excess energy they produce.
Yes, besides potential savings on electricity bills, Somerset residents can benefit from the Smart Export Guarantee, local green grants, and tax credits related to solar panel installations.
Opt for installers with local experience, a good track record, and certifications from recognised industry bodies. It’s also advisable to check customer reviews and ask for references. Good job Solar Planet has done this for you. Get your free no-obligation quotes today.
Regular cleaning to remove dust or snow, scheduling professional inspections, and employing monitoring systems are some of the steps you can take to ensure your solar panels function efficiently.
Yes, periodically, Somerset councils might offer schemes, grants, or subsidies to promote the use of renewable energy. It’s beneficial to keep updated with local announcements or consult with your installer about available incentives.
Solar panels significantly reduce carbon footprints. Every kilowatt-hour of solar-generated electricity curbs greenhouse gas emissions, contributing to a more sustainable and environmentally friendly future.
Yes, properties equipped with solar panel systems often fetch a higher market price due to the added advantage of sustainable energy generation and potential savings on energy bills.
Expert, local installers
All installations are carried out by careful, caring, qualified MCS-accredited engineers.